Our favorite mid-week quick meal.
serves 4 to 6
Extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 slices of thick-cut bacon
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 lb of fingerling potatoes, split down the middle
- 2 cups Brussel sprouts, cut into thick slices
- 1/2 lb red pearl onions, peeled
- 1/2 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 bunch flat-leaf parsley, roughly chopped
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
Set a large saute pan over medium heat and add a 2 count of olive oil. Cut bacon into long strips and add to pan together with thyme. Cook for 5 to 7 minutes to render the fat then strain and set aside. Discard half the fat in the pan then add potatoes and pearl onions. Season with salt and pepper and cook until slightly browned and mostly tender. Add the brussel sprouts and sauté until they begin to caramelize. Add chicken stock and steam for 3 to 5 minutes until liquid has evaporated and vegetables are tender. Add balsamic vinegar and toss to coat. Cook until balsamic has reduced then fold in fresh parsley and bacon.